PPC Mission Statement:
Improving the quality of life for the people of Pittsburgh by restoring the park system to excellence in partnership with the government and the community. Projects and programs are conducted with respect for the environment, historic design, and the needs of our diverse region.
Working under the direction of the Director of Philanthropy and Public Engagement, the Marketing Manager supports a wide range of communications disciplines at the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy (PPC), including social media management, website content, email creation and distribution, event promotion, blog development, project management, and monitoring the latest in park news. This individual works closely with the Director of Philanthropy and Public Engagement to develop content for inclusion across multiple organizational and marketing communications platforms and assets for internal and external audiences. Content will be original, timely, accurate, well-crafted, consistent in style and tone, audience-specific, and engaging to help drive park awareness and usage across the Pittsburgh region, create a positive image of the PPC, and position the PPC as an essential partner to the City of Pittsburgh. Content examples include e-mails, blogs, web pages, newsletters, social media posts, and press releases.
The ideal candidate is responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Research and interview internal and external subject matter experts to create original, timely, accurate, engaging, and well-crafted content for PPC publications, website, news releases, emails, fact sheets, e-newsletters, donor newsletters, social media posts, and appeal pieces.
- Create and design various materials for print and digital collateral.
- Prioritize and manage multiple projects within design specifications and budget restrictions
- Develop and distribute email announcements that highlight the programs, services, and accomplishments of the PPC, translating potentially complex information to appropriate reading and interest levels.
- Develop content for designated PPC publications, appeals, and solicitation pieces, working in collaboration with Advancement team members and internal staff to meet publication objectives.
- Assist with developing new content and revising existing content for the PPC website and internal communications channels.
- Lead the creation of engaging and social media posts.
- Apply creativity and imagination to develop materials and adapt previously written content to achieve organizational goals and reach specific audiences.
- Ensure that all written content receives necessary approvals prior to publication.
- Participate on project teams with PPC staff, contractors, and others to coordinate, produce, and deliver requested materials.
- Aid in strategic planning, media relations, editorial calendars, project management, and crisis communications.
- Lead content development, strategy, and implementation of PPC’s original podcast series, For the Love of Parks.
- Identify and manage organizational partnerships that support overall marketing and fundraising goals.
- Serve as leader for excellent user experience on PPC’s website, serving as department expert on content, content management software, and utilizing cutting-edge web-based marketing and communication tools to effectively reach a full range of internal and external audiences.
- Create and implement web content schedule.
- Develop, write, edit, proofread, and publish updates in content management system, applying communications best practices such as usability, reading level, mobile compatibility, and branding. Monitor content quality, manage content life cycle using analytics, and edit or discard outdated or irrelevant content.
- Support media relations programs and activities. Activities may include brainstorming media relations story ideas, pitching ideas to media outlets, developing media lists, and building relationships with key media relations contacts.
- Serve as the lead photographer/videographer for the organization.
- Implement all marketing coordination of programming promotions from start to finish, including registration form creation, public calendar posting, and management of PPC event calendar.
Knowledge of (position requirements at entry):
- Communications and writing best practices, including advanced knowledge of effective interviewing techniques and Federal Plain Language and reading-level guidelines.
- Computer and software applications used in business settings and for communications and marketing and delivery of information (e.g. content management system, email subscription systems, social media platforms, Microsoft Office Suite).
- Current laws, requirements, policies, and other directives for public sector communications.
- Outstanding customer service principles and practices and standards for a diverse customer base.
- Best practices and cutting-edge internet marketing technologies including e-marketing tactics and social media strategies to serve a diverse audience.
- Contemporary and best practices for communications, marketing, public relations, and public affairs.
- Prior experience managing SocialPilot (or other social media scheduling tool), Luminate Online (or other CRM system), and WordPress, as well as other web-based marketing communications platforms.
- General graphic design and photography best practices.
Skills and Ability to (position requirements at entry):
- Strongly understand digital media and the ability to analyze data to thoughtfully make recommendations about content creation and planning.
- Successfully produce professional-level writing, reporting, and translation of complex information to appropriate reading and interest levels for a diverse audience.
- Effectively conduct research, interview subject experts, and analyze complex concepts.
- Produce content quickly, accurately, and proficiently with multiple projects and multiple deadlines.
- Accept direction and constructive feedback.
- Provide excellent judgment and journalistic integrity and maintain confidentiality in work-related matters.
- Demonstrate strong organization, time management and project coordination skills.
- Establish and maintain effective, respectful, and productive working relationships.
- Provide excellent customer service with a diverse customer base and maintain a service-oriented attitude.
- Oversee PPC’s marketing/communications internship program.
Training and Experience (position requirements at entry)
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Communications, Journalism, English or related field OR combined experience of five years in communications and marketing.
- Increasingly responsible experience in graphic design, marketing, and public relations: 3 plus years
- Increasingly responsible experience in digital and social media communications: 3 plus years
- Knowledge of Adobe PhotoShop, Illustrator, Sketch, InDesign, and other graphic design software
- Familiarity with HTML and CSS preferred
- Knowledge of CRM products including Luminate Online (preferred)
- Knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography, print, and the web
- Prior photography/videography experience
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Occasional weekend, evening, and holiday work is required to perform the duties of this job.
The PPC is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or other protected characteristics.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Restoring Pittsburgh’s Park System to Excellence