Reports to: Youth Program Manager
Location: Regent Square, Pittsburgh, PA
Hours: Temporary part-time (30 hours/week from 1/5/23 - 6/16/23)
Inspire. Educate. Equip. We remove barriers and create access to outdoor experiences.
The Afterschool Coordinator is a part-time, temporary employee who reports to the Youth Program Manager. This position is the on-site leader for the 2022-2023 afterschool care program at the Environmental Charter School (ECS) Intermediate building in Regent Square for 3rd-5th grade students. This is an afterschool childcare program with an emphasis on outdoor and environmental enrichment. This staff member is responsible for leading outdoor educational and recreational activities with students, communicating with parents and school administration, building curriculum, managing student behavior, and ensuring an excellent and safe experience for all participants.
Applications will be accepted until 8:00 AM on Friday, December 9, 2022. Interviews will be offered after this date. No calls or emails please.
Special Hour Requirements: The ECS Afterschool Coordinator is expected to work with students and fellow Outdoor Educators at the ECS aftercare program every school day Monday-Friday from 2:30 PM – 6:30 PM. The aftercare program does not run on school holidays and most half days (see school calendar here). The remainder of the work week hours are flexible and can be done remotely or at our office on the Southside.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead a group of up to 22 3rd- 5th grade youth in afterschool outdoor activities (same group of youth throughout school year)
- Activities may include hiking, biking, geocaching, snowshoeing, orienteering, outdoor survival skills, sports, STEM experiments, playground, crafts, yoga, environmental education and special field trips including kayaking and fishing
- Ensure and maintain safety of the group through direct supervision, colleague communication, administration of First Aid, incident reporting, practicing fire drills and evacuations, and more
- Write lesson plans and design curriculum with an emphasis on outdoor and environmental enrichment
- Prepare and transport equipment and supplies
- Maintain student attendance and enrollment
- Set student expectations and implement a positive behavior management structure in line with the values established by the Environmental Charter School
- Communicate with parents and school administration
- This program is considering becoming a licensed childcare center through the PA Department of Human Services. If licensing is approved, the Coordinator’s responsibilities will include:
- Completion of required DHS trainings, such as 10-hour Health & Safety training
- Acting as the childcare center director as outlined in PA Code 3270
- Administering the program objectives and activities
- Coordinating and planning daily activities with the other Outdoor Educators
- Other duties as assigned
We recognize that not all parts of the outdoor industry fit exactly into the categories as outlined. As such, we highly encourage anyone who doesn't see themselves fully represented in the below tiers to apply. Your experience may not fit neatly into a category, but that does not mean it is not welcome in the program.
- 3-5 years of experience working with youth, preferably in a school or educational setting
- Desire to lead, motivate, and manage groups of elementary-aged youth
- Demonstrated ability to manage logistics in an organized fashion
- Comfort speaking in front of a group, setting group expectations, and managing behavior
- Demonstrated ability to create and execute lesson plans/curriculum
- Experience or knowledge of outdoor recreation and environmental education
- Preferred - Experience working with youth with special needs
- At least 18 years of age
- A reliable form of transportation (car, bus, bike) to get you and the necessary equipment to the activity site
- PA Child Abuse Check, PA Criminal background check, and FBI fingerprinting (must acquire prior to employment)
- Note: a finding on the criminal background clearances is not an automatic disqualification, but rather a conversation starter
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination or religions/medical exemption
- Mandated Reporter Training (can acquire upon hiring)
- Current CPR and First Aid certifications (can acquire upon hiring)
- Paid sick time (1 hour accumulated for every 35 hours worked)
- Flexible work environment and scheduling
- Paid professional development
- Free kayaking!
STAFF EQUITY STATEMENT
We commit to the equitable treatment of our colleagues, participants, and community members by valuing their rights, dignity, voice, and expression.
We welcome and respect the diversity of individuality such as race, sex, gender identity, ability, culture, and religion.
We recognize the human right for all individuals to be respected and accepted without bias.
We commit to an organizational responsibility to build individual and community respect, dignity, fairness, care, and equality.
We strive to understand the role our system plays in perpetuating exclusion, and to address the dynamics that support it.
We understand that accountability is mutual and reciprocal in order to continually learn and improve.
We believe that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion extends beyond the workplace and encourage all to continue personal development alongside the organization.
We require organizational staff and participants to encourage a culture of belonging and consider the entire experience and the ecosystem that supports.
We will not tolerate explicit and implicit forms of racism, sexism, classism, xenophobia, ageism, and/or ableism.
We will not accept the use of racial or gender biases and require staff to implement inclusionary practices within their duties and program design.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit www.ventureoutdoors.org/about/employment-opportunities/
Applications will be accepted until 8:00 AM on December 9, 2022. Interviews will be offered after this date. No calls or emails please.
Venture Outdoors is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Inspire. Educate. Equip. We remove barriers to create outdoor experiences.