Hello Neighbor is seeking a Legal Coordinator who will support the efforts of the Resettlement Team as they welcome Pittsburgh’s newest neighbors.
Working from our Pittsburgh, PA office, the Legal Coordinator will play the unique role of assisting Hello Neighbor’s Resettlement Department and contracted legal partners to provide legal support and guidance to newly arrived refugees, asylees, SIVs, and Afghan humanitarian parolees needing support with adjustment of status. The Legal Coordinator will join the effort of assessing client eligibility as asylum and SIV status seekers and help more than 30 families apply for asylum and the subsequent immigration status that will lead to their permanent residence in the United States.
Families are eligible for programming from their initial resettlement period up until 5 years after their arrival in the United States. However, this position will focus initially on new Afghan arrivals and extend to other populations in the future.
Working at Hello Neighbor is an opportunity to be on the ground floor of a fast-paced nonprofit startup. This is a new role and there are considerable opportunities to grow within the organization. Hello Neighbor is committed to supporting staff development.
Founded in 2017, Hello Neighbor works to improve the lives of recently resettled refugee families by matching them with dedicated neighbors to guide and support them in their new lives. 2023 marks our 5th year of operation and our first with a $3 million budget. We have an ambitious year of anniversary activations planned and are excited to post this newly created position to join the team and hit the ground running.
This is an in-house position at our Pittsburgh, PA office in Larimer. We are currently on a hybrid return-to-work and in the office on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. We require COVID-19 vaccination and a booster for full-time employees.
Reports To: Director of Refugee Resettlement
- Work with clients to gather immigration information and documentation
- Coordinate appropriate interpretation in the client’s preferred language for all immigration-related appointments both internal and external
- Secure appropriate translation for client documents and other supporting evidence
- Draft immigration forms and assist clients in writing personal declarations
- Conduct initial phone screenings to assess eligibility for services and provide referrals
- Schedule comprehensive legal intakes and appointments with the staff attorney
- Work collaboratively with the direct service staff focused on meeting the legal needs of new arrivals. This includes but is not limited to collecting demographic information and work history
- Coordinate all aspects of travel required for asylum interviews including lodging, interpretation, transportation, and per diem.
- Support Hello Neighbor Leadership Team in outreach, pursuit, and creation of pro and low bono services for resettled families
- Work in coordination with contracted legal providers to provide guidance on the formation of the Hello Neighbor legal department
- Collect client data and conduct initial research regarding each case
- Other administrative tasks as directed
- Four-year college bachelor’s degree or equivalent education or training
- Prior Legal Coordinator experience in immigration law is preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to protecting the rights of vulnerable populations, experience working with refugees and immigrants strongly desired
- Ability to handle and resolve recurring problems in a courteous and professional manner
- Excellent writing, verbal, and computer skills
- Able to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives with limited supervision
- Bilingual ability in a second language, particularly Arabic, Dari, Pashto, or Spanish, is a plus but not required
- A team player
- Energetic, motivated, and hardworking
- Ability to take direction and work independently, as well as collaboratively
- Ability to take initiative and manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Passion for community building, refugee and immigrant rights
- Ability to communicate with diverse communities
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills
- Living migration experience and fluency in other languages are a plus
- Hello Neighbor offers a comprehensive benefits package including 3 weeks of PTO, sick days, and time off for civic engagement plus an annual office closure in December, health care, vision, and dental coverage, a matching IRA, and an emphasis on professional development
- Applications accepted on a rolling basis
- Selected candidates will be invited to interview in December
- Estimated start date: January 2023; this position is fully funded through September 30, 2023.
- Salary range: $42,000-45,000
Equal Opportunity Employer:
At Hello Neighbor, we are committed to being an inclusive workplace where diversity in all its forms is championed. Hello Neighbor is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you require special accommodation, please let us know.
All Applications Welcome
Data shows that women more frequently do not apply for a job because they don’t feel that they meet all of the qualifications listed. Our job descriptions are general overviews, not a mandatory comprehensive list. If you feel passionate about our efforts and believe that you have the skills to contribute to the growth of our organization, we want to hear from you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.