Director of Human Resources
Are you a Human Resources professional who wants to make a difference? Are you someone who champions teamwork and looks for ways to enhance the employee experience? Then here is a fantastic opportunity to grow your career as the Director of Human Resources at Animal Friends, Inc.
Who We Are:
For more than 75 years, Animal Friends has been saving, impacting, engaging, enriching, and affecting the lives of the pets and people of our region. Since our humble beginnings in 1943, we have grown into a full-service companion animal welfare organization with over 115 employees and nearly 2,000 volunteers who serve the pets and people of Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas. In support of this life-saving work, Animal Friends has a talented team of maintenance, accounting, people operations, and administrative professionals. While these individuals take on a unique role and may not work directly with the animals, their passion for Animal Friends’ mission is on display every day.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Strategically evaluate, lead, and fully execute key HR initiatives and policies that support Animal Friends’ mission, enhances productivity, and ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Guide leaders and fellow teammates through company policies, values, HR program administration and interpretation to ensure policies and procedures are carried out consistently across the organization.
- Develop and implement full cycle employee relations program (recruitment, on-boarding, training, conflict resolution, performance management process, benefit administration, succession planning, job status adjustments, exits, etc.)
- Lead and participate in the Workplace Safety Committee, manage annual recertification, report Workers Compensation incidents, manage claims, and maintain OSHA log/reporting.
- Support training and development of staff aligned with organizational culture, values, skill-development, and retention priorities
- Execute all HR functions such as FMLA/LOA management, health benefit administration and enrollment, responding to Unemployment Claims, conducting employment verifications, evaluating and updating total rewards programs including PTO, 401(k) etc., maintaining employee files, serving as product owner for HRIS System (Paylocity), responding to complaints/feedback and conducting investigations.
- Oversee the Volunteer Program and Welcome Center. This includes coaching and providing supervision of the Program Manager with the goal of ensuring cohesion across all teammates working for Animal Friends, regardless of if they are paid staff or volunteers.
- At least 3 - 5 years of experience serving as an HR Generalist or similar position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field is required; equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be substituted.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (including Outlook, Word, Excel, Teams etc.) and HRIS Software (Paylocity).
- Demonstrable ability to influence decision-making with fellow leaders and key stakeholders
- Courage to make tough decisions and deliver difficult messages with professionalism and poise
- Comfortable working in ambiguous situations with competing priorities
- Solid expertise in developing solutions based upon facts/data
- Consultative style and approach with the ability to develop credible relationships throughout all levels of the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to meet people easily and relate to them in an open, compassionate, and sincere manner.
- Ability to communicate with a wide range of individuals both orally and in writing.
- Must be comfortable working around cats, dogs, and rabbits and have a sincere interest in our mission.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
At Animal Friends, we're thinking outside the cage!