Moonshot Museum made history in October 2022 when it opened as Pennsylvania’s first space museum and the first museum on the planet with a core focus on career readiness for the 21st century space industry. The Museum offers a literal window into the real time work of spacecraft construction and invites visitors to embark on space-themed missions set against the cosmic canvas of an immersive lunar landscape filled with high-tech team-building activities. Moonshot Museum is a living lab where people of all ages can connect with the vast potential of the new space industry, and in which young people can find their place in the future of space exploration.
Moonshot Museum seeks a vibrant, energetic, and collaborative Operations Assistant to join our team on a part-time, non-exempt basis as a “face of space,” providing exceptional customer service for our visitors and administrative support for our team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Exudes passion for Moonshot Museum’s mission to inspire a diverse new generation to find their place in the future of space exploration
- Ability to serve visitors through empathy, problem-solving, and a commitment to excellent customer care
- Office management experience preferred
- Strong experience in scheduling, data management, and filing reports preferred
- Demonstrates professionalism in all written, phone, and face-to-face communication
- Attention to detail and a passion for organization and smart / efficient workplace processes
- Collaborative, receptive to feedback, an attitude of constant self-improvement and teamwork.
- Ability to think on your feet in a fast-paced environment
- Comfortable working with computers, learning front-of-house software systems and troubleshooting/ pivoting around technological challenges as they arise
- Flexible to ongoing change and iteration at a brand new, growing museum
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the Manager of Operations & Visitors services in administering Moonshot Museum’s group bookings, sales, retail, admissions, and front of house operations
- Works directly with visitors, school groups, and students at the front desk
- Handles all equipment and supplies as assigned, following opening and closing procedures as scheduled
- Serves as the front-line source of action by following appropriate protocols when medical or other emergencies occur. Know where emergency equipment is stored and be familiar with proper emergency procedures
- Adheres to all Moonshot Museum protocols and procedures
- Interfaces with Executive Director and Manager of Learning & Programs to support daily operations and administrative needs
- Satisfactory PA State Police Criminal Record Check and Child Abuse History Certification.
- Satisfactory FBI Criminal Record check.
- Satisfactory professional references check.
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to pass Department of Motor Vehicles check.
- Must be able to work onsite consistently in Pittsburgh, PA.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, highly sensory, stimulating work environment due to constant interaction with other staff and visitors, including children.
- Ability to remain in a stationary position for long periods of 90 minutes or more and proactively teach, converse, and engage with visitors in the museum space.
- Ability to work in areas that are dimly lit and noisy at times.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, including museum exhibits pieces as scheduled.
- Ability to carry, set up, and clean up outreach demonstrations and equipment.
- Ability to drive in one’s own vehicle to offsite programs as assigned throughout Western Pennsylvania; ability to transport and return Moonshot Museum outreach materials and equipment.
POSITION TYPE/ EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK:
- The Operations Assistant is a non-exempt, part time position.
- Candidates must be comfortable and prepared to work a flexible schedule that will frequently include weekends, evenings, and holidays.
- Hours available for these positions will vary around operational needs and seasonal museum visitation patterns, up to a maximum of 25 hours per week.
The hourly pay rate for the Operations Assistant is $18. This position is non-exempt.
Please submit a resume and short cover letter via email to Lauren Shalek, Manager of Operations & Visitor Services, with the subject line Moonshot Museum Operations Assistant in your email.
It is Moonshot Museum’s policy to hire and promote qualified people and administer all terms and conditions of employment without discrimination due to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sex assigned at birth, sexual orientation, transgender identity, gender transition, gender expression, and gender identity), national origin, ancestry, place of birth, disability, age, genetic information, use of a guide or support animal, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or other protected-class status.
Moonshot Museum does not discriminate based on disability in admission or access to, or employment in, its programs and activities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to enable you to complete the application process, please send a request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.