STEEM Teacher 1st-5th Grade
Shady Side Academy Country Day School is seeking a full-time 1st -5th grade STEEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Environmental, Math) teacher for the 2022-23 school year. A successful STEEM teacher engages students in meaningful learning experiences that meet their students’ needs and gives them the confidence to take risks. Shady Side’s teachers cultivate academic skill development and support students’ social-emotional growth. This applicant will work collaboratively within a team of child-focused educators and has a deep commitment to this important time in a student’s educational journey.
- Keeps students at the center of their decision making and instructional practice.
- Collaborates with colleagues and supports endeavors that benefit the larger community.
- Cultivates positive partnerships with parents through consistent and transparent communication about their child’s progress.
- Utilizes the responsive classroom approach and desires to cultivate an emotionally safe educational environment for their students.
- Curates and carries out an engaging hands-on curriculum that incorporate the NGSS and ISTE Standards
- Will implement a variety of technological teaching tools to enhance the delivery of the curriculum
- Utilizes instructional strategies that are engaging, research supported, and meet students’ individual needs.
- Integrates technology, STEAM, design thinking, and other innovative strategies into classroom instruction.
- Incorporate the trails, ponds, treehouse and land around the school as a valuable teaching resource and will support outdoor learning year round.
- Successfully implements formative and summative assessments to inform instructional decisions.
- Will write report cards and meet with families as needed to provide insight into their child’s progress.
- Work as a collaborative partner with the other technology and STEEM colleagues at Country Day and across the Academy.
- Performs extra duties such as recess, lunch and arrival/dismissal duties as needed.
- Attends all faculty meetings, in-service days, and teacher team meetings.
- Completing other responsibilities as deemed necessary by the Head of Lower Schools and/or Assistant Heads of the Country Day.
- Be an integral part of a caring community of learners
A successful candidate will have:
- A depth of knowledge and understanding of child development.
- A passion for working with children and developing high quality educational experiences.
- A desire to participate in continued professional development.
- A desire to meet the needs of a diverse community of learners.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- An ability to be fun, flexible and collaborative
A bachelor’s degree in elementary education is required and a master’s degree is strongly preferred. Ideal candidates have some experience working with elementary school students, a flexible and team-oriented approach, excellent written and oral communication skills, exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail, superior interpersonal skills, a sense of humor, and a positive demeanor.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Excellent health and retirement benefits are part of the employment package. Lunch is included when school is in session. Funding exists to support continuing advanced degree work, as well as participation in professional conferences, workshops, summer study, and travel.
Personal Statement/Cover Letter
Shady Side Academy's mission is "to challenge students to think expansively, act ethically, and lead responsibly". Inspired by this mission, Shady Side’s driving purpose remains the development of responsible, transformative leaders for the City of Pittsburgh and beyond. This reason for existing was embedded at our inception, as the pioneers of the American steel industry founded a preparatory school designed to ensure next generation leadership for what they envisioned would become the great, enduring industrial city of the 20th century. As we envision the Academy’s next chapter and consider a changing world, we have the opportunity to reimagine how we deliver on this mission. Using the Mission in Action link on our Employment Page as a resource, please respond to the following prompt: Providing past and current examples, how do you practice Relational Teaching, create opportunities for Civil Discourse, and offer Real Word Learning Opportunities within your teaching practices.
Shady Side Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, or disability. Our campuses are tobacco-free.
About Shady Side Academy
Shady Side Academy is a vibrant learning community that values intellectual curiosity, personal integrity and diverse perspectives. Through a rigorous and balanced curriculum of academics, arts and athletics, our students are challenged to explore their passions and excel beyond expectations. Supported by active alumni and parents, our unique culture of faculty-student mentorship inspires students to become lifelong learners and engaged, thoughtful citizens of their communities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.