Title: Youth Educator
Reports to: Executive Director
Hours: Part-time, Non-Exempt, Benefits
Location: Pittsburgh, PA - While the Youth Educator must reside in the Pittsburgh area, they will work remotely and may set a flexible work schedule (subject to approval by the Executive Director)
Communitopia is a 501c3 environmental nonprofit working to provide transformative climate change education that develops today’s climate leaders and advances equitable solutions. We accomplish our mission by ensuring that our stakeholders have opportunities to transfer climate literacy into climate action that is personal, local, and grassroots in origin with a strong focus on youth and the education sector.
Communitopia is currently looking for a part-time Youth Educator to join our team and lead our youth and school-based education and empowerment efforts. The ideal candidate will be driven to tackle climate change on a local level through empowering youth.
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 PM EST on Monday, January 23, 2023. Interviews will be offered after this date. No calls or emails please.
Communitopia’s Youth Educator will oversee all aspects of our solutions-based climate change educational programs for middle and high school youth. Ideal candidates for this position will use their teaching experience and knowledge of climate change/environmental justice to teach in-class workshops on climate action, co-design youth climate action plans with out of school time (OST) groups, and organize an annual Youth Climate Action Summit alongside youth. This position, with support of the Executive Director, will design, promote, and market our programs and build relationships with youth, educators, and schools to empower youth, create climate literacy/action, and promote environmental justice.
Program Implementation/Support (90%)
- Oversee Pittsburgh Youth for Climate Action (PYCA) team, a monthly evening climate club, to develop leadership skills and take youth-directed climate action.
- Co-plan with youth our annual Youth Climate Action Summit, showcasing student and teacher action plans and bringing environmental nonprofits, educational institutions, and municipal leaders together in celebration.
- Coordinate and lead bi-weekly out of school time Climate Action Teams at 3 - 4 area schools.
- Develop standards aligned student workshop curriculum, assessment, and other educational materials for in school climate change workshops, in partnership with Communitopia’s Executive Director.
- Serve as a climate resource for teachers and students by providing climate change education resources, scheduling school visits and conducting workshops, and assisting in climate action planning.
- Maintain and foster new relationships with school officials and teachers throughout Allegheny County.
- Maintain relationships with teachers, school officials, community members, Communitopia’s organizational partners, and other nonprofits with similar goals.
Organizational Engagement (10%)
- Conduct formal as well as informal presentations at Communitopia board meetings and other events.
- Support and participate in fundraising initiatives of Communitopia.
- Engage in Communitopia team functions, including events, team meetings, strategic planning, and marketing.
- Other duties as deemed necessary by the Executive Director.
Experience and Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor’s degree related to environmental education, environmental science, or climate change OR at least five (5) years experience leading youth with demonstrated success in reaching programmatic goals.
- K-12 teacher experience desirable, and enthusiasm for teaching is required
- Proficient in Google Office Suite
- Demonstrated leadership in the management of youth
- All Pennsylvania clearances mandatory upon hire
- Access to a vehicle and valid driver's license
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends, as job requires
- Ability to work well independently and be part of a team
- Interpersonal and conflict management skills a plus
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work, and experience in reporting and managing a budget
- Demonstrated willingness and commitment to uphold all Communitopia’s policies, mission and vision
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination or religious/medical exemption
- Demonstrated ability and comfort with public speaking and leading teams
Salary and Benefits
- This position will be approximately 25 hr/week, $20/hour, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Remote work is supported with a $50 Work From Home stipend
- Part-time staff will receive a prorated $125/month healthcare stipend
- Flexible work environment, school-year based schedule with summertime reduced hours an option
- Working with the world’s coolest youth and making measurable change in Pittsburgh for climate change!
- This position is a one-year part-time position to end one year from start date with a possibility of renewal pending performance and continuation of funding.
- Start date is February 2023.
- Please submit a resume, cover letter, and the names of 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 23, 2020.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Climate Change Education. Action. Impact.