Visitor Services Director
Job Title: Visitor Services Director
Date: January 6, 2023
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Compensation: $65,000.00 to $75,000.00 per year
About The Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh:
The Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh provides innovative and inclusive museum experiences that inspire kindness, joy, creativity and curiosity for all learners. We forge connections with artists, community partners and neighbors to work on behalf of children, youth and families. We have a vision to transform education. We believe people of all ages can benefit from different types of learning experiences. We value Learning, Experimentation, Partnerships, Diversity, Kindness, Good Design as well as Art and Artists, and Reflection and Improvement.
We are proud to offer a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees that includes: Medical, Dental, Vision, Flexible Spending Account, Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability. Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick and Holidays). Floating Holiday. 403(b) Retirement Plan. Educational Assistance and Professional Development. Free Museum membership. Parking at a discounted price.
About the Position:
The Visitor Services Director manages the daily customer facing operations of Visitor Services, Events and Retail Store at the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Oversee a team of Visitor Services Associates, Visitor Services Managers, Events Staff and Retail Store staff.
Essential Job Duties:
- Guide, direct, and mentor staff to ensure outstanding guest and visitor experiences;
- Oversee entire team and training for visitor services team members;
- Responsible for the retail operations of the Museum store;
- Join the museum leadership team at the Director level;
- Work across departments on ongoing and new projects.
- Responsible for earned revenue from visitor experiences in admission and will have direct management of Visitor Services goals;
- Familiar with or willing to learn Siriusware, to manage the ticketing operations of the museum
- With the Retail Coordinator, manages store inventory, daily operations and creative retail earned revenue strategies that parallel the current exhibit offerings and programs;
- Coordinate with the education and exhibits departments for the day-to-day operations at the museum
- Observe all policies and procedures for financial management and record keeping
- Hire, train, and manage supporting staff and ensure adequate staffing levels
- Coordinate and facilitate both internal and external events with the events team
- Positively and accurately represent the museum to visitors and community at large
- Drive awareness of ticket sales and growth (gift cards, memberships, ecommerce, etc.)
- Understand current and future state of permanent exhibits, traveling exhibits and dynamic programming
- Perform all functions relevant to running the visitor services department
Requirements and Qualifications:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in hospitality management or related field preferred.
- At least seven to ten years of demonstrated excellence in customer service, museum, cultural attraction, retail, theater / venue, civic / sports / university operating experience a plus;
- Retail and cash management experience preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Analytical skills and problem solver approach to situations
- Siriusware or other ticketing software experience preferred
Physical Requirements & Equipment Usage: No excessive physical effort required, however, the position may require lifting or moving items with assistance such as for events. It will be necessary to move about Museum in normal course of administrative and professional activities.
Work Environment, Hours of Work, and Travel Requirements:
- Five Days a week on-site, either Monday – Friday or Tuesday – Saturday
- Provide coverage for occasional evening and weekend programs and events
- Duties will be performed in a museum environment, which includes interaction with the public and exposure to children and families.
Clearances: FBI fingerprint, PA Child Abuse (Act 33) and PA Criminal (Act 34) Clearances are required.
Vaccination: Our commitment to safety currently includes the requirement that all staff members be vaccinated for the COVID-19 virus, unless an exemption has been granted or otherwise in compliance with our Mandatory Vaccination Policy for the COVID-19 virus.
The Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh provides equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic or trait protected by local, state, or federal law.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete our online application found at: https://pittsburghkids.org/about/careers-opportunities/careers/
Our Employees are aware of this ad.
Your application has been successfully submitted.