Mission of Reading Ready Pittsburgh: Reading Ready Pittsburgh is a non-profit organization supporting the healthy development of young children by increasing access to books and by encouraging significant family engagement through reading.
Geographical Neighborhood: Office in Homestead; Primarily working in the Mon Valley Communities of Braddock, Homestead, Swissvale, Rankin, and Duquesne
Position overview: The Outreach Coordinator, under the supervision of the Executive Director, will facilitate the programs offered by Reading Ready Pittsburgh including but not limited to Raising A Reader, Little Give-Away Libraries, book- gifting, Ready4K, and Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library. The Outreach Coordinator will cultivate and manage partnerships, develop and nurture volunteers, and increase community engagement so as to build awareness and effectiveness of Reading Ready Pittsburgh’s programs.
Duties and Functions:
- Encourage community involvement in Reading Ready Pittsburgh’s mission through participation in the following:
- Early Literacy Community Council
- Developing library collaborations
- Supporting community connections
- Developing family/ parent/ school connections
- Build strong volunteer and community relationships to advance the mission of Reading Ready Pittsburgh.
- Support Reading Ready Pittsburgh’s participation in community events to promote knowledge of RRP’s mission and programs supporting early literacy. Maintain an annual calendar of the events.
- Develop and manage website and social media messaging; including Facebook and Instagram.
- Assisting with building the public image of the Raising A Reader with community media outlets.
- Create materials for outreach and educational purposes (Fliers, posters, newsletters.)
- Assist with Fundraising efforts as needed.
- Support the literacy work of Reading Ready Pittsburgh including implementation of the Raising A Reader book bag rotation program, Ready4K, Little Give-Away Library installations, Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library, and the Read Learn and Play Family Spaces and future initiatives as needed.
Education: Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Library Science, Social Work, Early Childhood Education or Education or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
Benefits: Reading Ready Pittsburgh offers professional development opportunities, travel reimbursement, a generous vacation package, retirement contribution, work cell phone, flex time, and flexi place.
Skills and Abilities:
- Good Social skills and networking abilities.
- Comfort with small children and families.
- Familiarity and proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite and Social Media outlets such as Facebook and Instagram.
- Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently, creatively, collaboratively, and effectively. Ability to solve problems and manage projects.
- Must be able to drive and has a vehicle that can be used for traveling to a variety of implementer sites.
- Willingness and openness to build awareness of diversity, equity and inclusion practices throughout all parts of Reading Ready Pittsburgh work environment.
Physical and Mental Abilities: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly expected to lift and carry boxes of books up to 30 pounds.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Encouraging Family Engagement Through Reading