Chief Technology Officer
We are seeking a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to lead technology strategy, software development, and management of an annual technology budget of over $20 million. The CTO will lead initiatives to create products that enable a wide range of end users, from child welfare caseworkers to homeless shelter staff to the County Manager, to meet their goals more effectively and efficiently. The CTO is an integral part of the Department of Human Services (DHS) leadership team with great freedom to innovate to achieve DHS’s mission.
This is an exciting opportunity for professionals who are interested in utilizing data and technology to improve the lives of DHS’s clients, and for DHS to extend its leadership role in inspiring governments to make similar investments. This position is based within Allegheny County Department of Human Services (DHS).
Who Are We?
Great Lakes Research (GL) is a leading provider of professional services and technology products designed specifically for the human service, education, and public and non-profit sectors. Our headquarters are located in Cranberry Township, PA with additional offices in Gateway Center, downtown Pittsburgh and other locations in the Pittsburgh area. Great Lakes provides staffing services to multiple Allegheny County divisions in the following areas:
- IT Support
- Administrative Support
- Data Analysis, Evaluation and Research
- Project Managers
Who Are You?
You are a technologist with entrepreneurial leadership skills supported by a proven track record of success in leadership roles and a passion for proactively seeking out and strengthening areas of organizational weakness. You have knowledge and experience with programming and engineering management. However, rather than spending time writing code, you will invest energy into charting and leading DHS’s efforts to better serve its clients, displaying a fierce commitment to the mission of improving the lives of the County’s most vulnerable residents.
Who is the Office of Analytics, Technology and Planning?
The Office of Analytics, Technology and Planning (ATP) supports policy development, quality improvement, planning and decision-making through research, analysis and engagement to improve the delivery of human services to Allegheny County's most vulnerable residents.
What Will You Be Responsible For?
- Coordinating a multi-disciplinary team of DHS program and support staff to create and implement the overall technology strategic plan for DHS with a focus on innovative, well-designed applications and information systems that support end users.
- Creating and executing a vision for software delivery that is open source, low cost, geography agnostic, and built by in-house technical talent.
- Identifying and addressing places in our service delivery model that could be automated with technology and improved through simplified CX while still addressing the wide variance in use cases at DHS.
- Designing and enforcing product development processes that work backwards from end customers to build delightful, highly intuitive software that resolves customer pain points.
- Recommending technology and system architecture that meet best-in-class standards to provide enhanced outcomes across Allegheny County systems.
- Establishing an IT governance process for decision making on IT priority recommendations.
- Collaborating with DHS stakeholders from multiple – sometimes disparate – perspectives to ensure that new products address customer/provider needs and drive operational efficiencies.
- Fostering a department culture in which staff are empowered, motivated and engaged; that provides excellent service and reliable, high-quality solutions; and that works transparently and collaboratively, taking accountability for individual and team actions and continuously striving to improve.
- Developing and leading feedback processes to gather input from end users on technology products and implementation.
- Maintaining a pulse on industry trends to maintain DHS’s place at the forefront of technology, while also closing any existing gaps by observing how other organizations employ cutting-edge technologies to improve client/provider experience including reporting and visualization tools.
- Providing technical guidance for cross-system operational initiatives across DHS and related partners.
- Managing external consultants to ensure IT projects are completed in a timely fashion and potential risks are identified and mitigated.
- Providing oversight on technology procurement and contracts.
What Background and Skills Does the Ideal Candidate Have?
- High degree of risk tolerance to better serve customers.
- Experience leading software and/or product development efforts. Prior technology industry experience is a strong positive. The CTO should also have significant experience evaluating client experience metrics, overseeing user research and testing and developing products with great UX/UI and strong knowledge of current and emerging technologies.
- Experience with developing and executing a large-scale strategic plan, focusing on long-term success and software sustainability, as well as a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, finding unlikely solutions in unexpected places when necessary.
- A proven ability to manage multiple stakeholder requests to better serve DHS clients, while effectively managing expectations and maintaining great working relationships with various stakeholders.
We know that many strong candidates will not have all the listed skills and that is ok. What else do you bring to the table?
This is an onsite, office position based at the Allegheny County Department of Human Services in downtown Pittsburgh, PA.
If hired, candidates would be employed by GL and assigned to Allegheny County Office of Analytics, Technology and Planning.
GL benefits include:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off: vacation, sick, personal, and bereavement
- Group term life and AD & D insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401K/403B Matching Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Applicants will have to be vaccinated from COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to federal and state laws. You will need to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 before beginning work and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - M/F/V/D
Your application has been successfully submitted.