We are seeking a Data Storyteller who will be responsible for preparing compelling, clear and accurate written information using data for a variety of audiences. This person will work in support of Allegheny County Department of Human Services’ (DHS’s) strategic direction and work closely with the Office of Analytics, Technology and Planning (ATP) Analysts and Planners to prepare data stories for publication. The Data Storyteller will also lead the efforts to disseminate these stories and communicate the information to a variety of audiences.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead efforts to tell compelling stories and engage different types of audiences across multiple platforms. This position is based within Allegheny County Department of Human Services (DHS).
Who Are We?
Great Lakes Research (GL) is a leading provider of professional services and technology products designed specifically for the human service, education, and public and non-profit sectors. Our headquarters are located in Cranberry Township, PA with additional offices in Gateway Center, downtown Pittsburgh and other locations in the Pittsburgh area. Great Lakes provides staffing services to multiple Allegheny County divisions in the following areas:
- IT Support
- Administrative Support
- Data Analysis, Evaluation and Research
- Project Managers
Who Are You?
You have strong design sense and the ability to envision creative ways of presenting information. You are familiar with the human services field and programmatic research, and embrace the DHS mission and guiding principles.
Who is the Office of Analytics, Technology and Planning?
The Office of Analytics, Technology and Planning (ATP) supports policy development, quality improvement, planning and decision-making through research, analysis and engagement to improve the delivery of human services to Allegheny County's most vulnerable residents.
What Will You Be Responsible For?
- Identifying and utilizing different ways to disseminate stories to a wide variety of audiences.
- Developing anecdotes and data in the form of stories that exemplify DHS’s strategic direction.
- Synthesizing qualitative and quantitative data in a variety of innovative ways.
- Working with analysts and other staff, within ATP and throughout DHS, to write and edit data stories and other publications.
- Absorbing meeting discussion, strategies and ideas discussed to create informational presentations that are tactically organized and clearly communicating content in a visually appealing format.
- Making presentations to community stakeholders.
- Conceptualizing data and sharing this knowledge through effective presentation of the data output with DHS stakeholders.
- Assisting in the development and implementation of the DHS Research and Communication Agenda.
What Background and Skills Does the Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, plus 2 years’ previous experience working with human services programs and/or quality improvement programs.
- Understanding of basic research and statistics; able to translate into easily understandable text.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to clearly communicate (written/verbal) with diverse people, and to work in teams.
- Strong design sense and ability to envision creative ways of presenting information (e.g., infographics).
- Knowledge of and interest in adapting research communications to a variety of other media platforms.
- Demonstrated interest in public service and research.
- Outstanding time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and accomplish a wide variety of tasks.
- Sensitivity to cultural diversity in the workplace.
- Strong computer literacy and demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office programs; Advanced knowledge/literacy in graphic design and/or publication layout preferred.
- Ability to take the initiative.
We know that many strong candidates will not have all the listed skills and that is ok. What else do you bring to the table?
This is an onsite, office position based at the Allegheny County Department of Human Services in downtown Pittsburgh, PA.
If hired, candidates would be employed by GL and assigned to Allegheny County Office of Analytics, Technology and Planning.
Salary & Benefits
Salary range is $65,000 - $73,000.
GL benefits include:
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off: vacation, sick, personal, and bereavement
- Group term life and AD & D insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- 401K/403B Matching Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)
Applicants will have to be vaccinated from COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to federal and state laws. You will need to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 before beginning work and will be required to provide proof of full vaccination.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - M/F/V/D
Your application has been successfully submitted.