Community Data Scientist
The Community Robotics, Education and Technology Empowerment Lab (CREATE Lab) at Carnegie Mellon University explores socially civic technology innovation and data understanding and communication, in partnership with community, and in support of community goals.
CREATE Lab is searching for a Community Data Scientist focused on air quality and health. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who thrives in an interesting and challenging work environment. You will contribute to the department by assisting with local data understanding and communication, and community engagement. This data scientist's job is to analyze data for actionable insights, and to coordinate with partners to work towards industrial and government accountability, and support efforts for improved public health in the Pittsburgh region and nationwide.
Core responsibilities will include:
- Local data analytics and narratives: building local data narratives that help explain air pollution in our region and its impacts on residents, employing data analysis and visualization techniques, joining the existing air quality and data visualization teams in CREATE Lab.
- Communicate and translate these narratives to engage various stakeholder audiences (i.e.Grassroots organizations, Government regulators, Policymakers, Non-profit environmental advocacy organizations)
- Community engagement liaison: liaise with community members and organizations as part of CREATE lab and its mission to support those impacted by air pollution.
- Working knowledge of equity concerns in the greater Pittsburgh area and community engagement required
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience, Masters not required but encouraged to apply
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant experience preferred
- Previous experience with air pollution monitoring and modeling preferred.
- Fluency with visualization tools and data.
You should have excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills, as well as good analytical and problem solving skills. Adaptability, excellence, and passion are vital qualities within the CREATE Lab. Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies in our lab. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with partners with a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support CREATE Lab's mission through their work.
To apply, contact and send resume and cover letter to Ana Hoffman, Director of Air Quality Engagement CREATE Lab at email@example.com
Your application has been successfully submitted.