Strategic Director of Education
ABOUT JUNIOR ACHIEVEMENT OF WESTERN PA
Junior Achievement of Western PA (JAWPA) is a nonprofit that inspires and prepares young people for success.
We are passionate people who educate and inspire young people to succeed in a global economy. JAWPA provides educational programs throughout western Pennsylvania and West Virginia. JA reaches students in relevant, hands-on learning experiences that teach young people to manage their money, plan for their economic future, run their own businesses, and develop the necessary skills for careers or college.
JAWPA associates bring together education and business partners to work with students to empower them to own their economic success. Members of the JAWPA team interact with community leaders who support JAWPA with their time, treasure, and talent.
JAWPA offers a collaborative, inclusive work environment and the opportunity to impact the lives of young people in our community. JAWPA is committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourages applicants from under-represented backgrounds.
The Strategic Director of Education is a member of the executive leadership team and works closely with the President and other senior leaders to develop and implement the organization’s long-term strategies around program growth and learning outcomes. Primary responsibilities include leading the education team, supporting program delivery, volunteer engagement, and education partner development. The position provides oversight of Education operations, program adherence to quality outcomes, and strategic execution of established goals. The position is also the liaison to the Board of Directors Education Committee.
We are looking for an innovative problem solver, an expert at building and navigating complex relationships, and a partnership-builder committed to equity in education who keeps students at the center of their work.
The ideal candidate will be a results-oriented leader and collaborative partner that builds and empowers teams and thrives in a fast-paced, goal-oriented environment. Additionally, JA seeks a skilled candidate with the following competencies:
- Background in analysis and interpersonal skills, especially regarding teamwork and customer service; capable of maintaining the highest standards of ethics and personal integrity.
Salary: $70,000 - $75,000 per year
PRIMARY DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Delivery and Expansion:
- Build and execute annual plan to impact students with JA and Careers in Skilled Trades programming across JAWPA 50+ county footprint, striking balance between depth and scale to meet the needs of our community, partners, and students.
- Deliver impactful experiential learning experiences to youth at onsite JA BizTown®, in-classroom programs, and through the JA Careers in Skilled Trades program.
- Build and strengthen relationships with superintendents, key administrators, and community leaders to ensure active and effective partnerships for JA in the education community.
- Evaluate program outcomes, including the student, educator, and volunteer experience.
- Ensure that all reports and data comply with JA program implementation standards and meet all reporting deadlines.
- Work with JA USA staff to ensure a strong partnership between our office and our national organization.
Program Operations Management:
- In partnership with CEO, Executive VP, and VP of Operations, support district communities, marketing, communication, and events.
- Selects, manages, develops, and evaluates program staff, ensuring sufficient skilled personnel for the program objectives and impact.
- Develop and manage Education budgets.
- Make data-informed decisions and set data-based Education departmental goals.
- Review and support grant writing functions to ensure educational deliverables are met.
- Communicate with entire organization on program and education topics.
- Facilitates communication and collaboration between team members to enrich workplace morale.
- Provides regular feedback to employees on their performance and areas to enhance.
- Works with employees to align their individual performance objectives with those of the organization.
- Provides training, coaching and mentorship opportunities to employees to support their professional growth.
Other duties as assigned.
- Combination of 5+ or more years of education and experience with direct programming work, including staff management.
- Strong communications skills, including external presentations to large groups.
- Computer literate, especially with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Able to manage multiple priorities and high-level relationships.
- Be a goal driven self-starter who enjoys providing exceptional customer-focused service and building mutually beneficial networks of supporters.
- Demonstrated organizational and planning experience.
- Experience in creating and managing a budget.
- Committee and board meeting leadership.
- Proficiency in Database/Constituency management.