Milk Donor Screener
Help optimize health outcomes for medically fragile babies while working in a positive, collaborative, and dynamic environment! Mid-Atlantic Mothers' Milk Bank is seeking a Milk Donor Screener to join it's screening team. Given the unique nature of what we do, candidates from a variety of backgrounds will be considered. A clinical or science background and experience working with families during the childbearing years is required. Training is provided.
About the Mid-Atlantic Mothers Bank: Our nonprofit organization collects milk from carefully screened volunteer donors (milk donors are our heroes!). The donated milk is tested and pasteurized before it is distributed to neonatal intensive care units (NICUs) and outpatients with medical needs across PA, WV, MD, NJ, and DE. Housed within the milk bank is the nonprofit Human milk Science Institute and Biobank (humanmilksamples.org) which works to bring down the barrier to human milk science by providing researchers with samples and data.
Reporting to the Donor Milk Program Director, the Donor Program Screener coordinates all aspects of receiving milk donations, including screening new donors, communicating with medical providers, bloodwork orders, maintaining current donor files and communications, shipping and receiving milk, and logging in milk into our system. Serves as a liaison between milk donors and the milk bank.
- Screens milk donor applicants, including conducting screening interviews, entering applicants into milk bank databases, processing applicant documentation and files, communicating with medical offices, and coordinating applicant bloodwork.
- Maintains communication with donors via telephone and/or email for medical history changes or other needs (such as boxes for milk shipments) throughout their time as active donors.
- Arranges and receives donor milk drop offs at milk bank or milk bank depots and FedEx/UPS shipments of milk, and updates donor files accordingly.
- Logs milk donations in deposit database.
- Assists with Human Milk Science Institute and Biobank, including consenting donors and coordinating milk donations.
- Greets visitors and conducts tours of the milk bank.
- Provides information about the milk bank at community events.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications and Education: Registered nurse (RN), International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), CLC (Certified Lactation Counselor) or other relevant experience required. Bachelor's degree preferred for those applicants who are not RNs.
- Past work in doctor’s office or hospital setting helpful
- Experience in working with families in the childbearing years
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Adept with computer (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Ability to work well with others – team player
- Professional telephone and writing skills
- Self-motivated but can take direction from others
- Enjoys learning new skills 2
- Enthusiasm for the mission of MAMMB
- Proficiency in languages other than English beneficial but not required.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift 35 pounds
- Ability to move actively around the Milk Bank
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $21.00 to $27.00 /hour
Learn more about lifesaving donor milk at www.midatlanticmilkbank.org
Mid-Atlantic Mothers' Milk Bank is committed to providing equal opportunity for all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, political affiliation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. Each person is evaluated on the basis of personal skill and merit. MAMMB’s policy regarding equal employment opportunity applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, job assignments, promotions, working conditions, scheduling, benefits, wage and salary administration, disciplinary action, termination, and social, educational and recreational programs.
Position is non-exempt under FLSA
- One location: 3127 Penn Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15201
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $21.00 - $27.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Healthcare stipend
- Retirement (Simple IRA match)
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
The milk bank follows all CDC and state recommendations to stop the spread of COVID-19. Staff are required to be vaccinated. Exemption process in place for those who cannot be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.